Monday, March 28, 2016

Kauai Sketchbook - Part 1





























Here is a series of sketches from a trip I made to Kauai last year. All of the sketches were done in a Stillman and Birn sketchbook with a Sanford Uniball Micro pen and Holbein watercolors. As is my usual method for sketchbook work, I spend the time on location developing the value and composition studies, and preparing the sketch. I complete the work later in the studio, or in this case, the next morning working outside on the balcony with my Winsor & Newton Field Sketch Box and my travel brushes.

With regard to the subjects: I like to start a trip with sketches of action at the airport, a view on the inside of the plane, and scenes outside the window as we approach our destination.

After that are misc. scenes grabbed as I could when time would allow. The sketchbook travels with me everywhere, from zip-lining to horseback riding. It is a good way to remember our adventures.

6 comments: